(COLD OPENING) “American Idol”
- A non-political cold opening!
- Tracy looked funny.
- Maya did a good impression of Mya’s Coca-Cola commercials.
- The commercial interruptions got old after a while. And I probably would’ve found this funnier if I watched American Idol more often.
- I was hoping they’d let Jimmy say LFNY since he hasn’t done it much, or at least someone else different from the usual Parnell-Sanz-Rudolph-Hammond cycle.
(MONOLOGUE) Adrien Brody wishes a Happy Mother’s Day
- Adrien kissing Horatio.
- Adrien’s talk with his parents was pretty boring.
(COMMERCIAL) “Mom Jeans”
- Tina in a sketch!
- Nothing special. It felt like they did a commercial like this before.
(SKETCH) “Brian Fellow’s Safari Planet”
- The same-old, tired Brian Fellow formula. Since this is most likely going to be the last BFSP, they should’ve done something special with it.
(SKETCH) Self-involved date
- Rachel’s line at the end.
- Typical lame Kattan sketch.
- Adrien’s parts fell flat.
(SEASON FINALE) May 17, 2003: Dan Aykroyd
It will be great to see him finally host! Excellent choice to close out the season.
(SKETCH) “Live with Regis and Kelly”
- Darrell and Amy are always funny as Regis and Kelly, and have great chemistry.
- Not as good as the Regis & Kelly sketch done with Queen Latifah. Adrien’s character was bland and brought this down.
(TV FUNHOUSE) Saddam & Osama
- A clever idea and a great parody of Iraqi television.
- The commercials were hilarious.
- Did anyone else see Sean Penn’s name listed as one of the writers at the end of the fake credits?
No comment on the actual performance as usual, but I have to say Adrien’s intro was different and interesting. It went on a little too long, though, and would’ve been funnier if it was kept brief.
(WEEKEND UPDATE) Fallon & Fey, Q*terplx, Elton John
- Tina’s priest joke.
- Rachel’s cameo as the messed-up baby.
- Jimmy’s iloo joke.
- Jimmy’s masturbate-a-thon joke.
- Jimmy’s Joan Rivers/Mary Tyler Moore joke.
- Tina’s Carson Daly joke.
- Tina’s usual bad Bush joke.
- Jimmy’s Mrs. Anthrax joke.
- Jimmy’s Gary Hart joke.
- The Elton John bit was pretty bad and went on too long, save for a few funny lines
- I guess Jimmy’s going back to throwing the pencil now. I’ll miss Eric Slovin’s random pencil-stealing cameos.
- The Cyclops glasses.
- Another weak Kattan sketch, and this was basically just a bad glasses-store version of “Jeffrey’s”
(SKETCH) Ballroom dancing for beginners
- I always like Horatio’s Vasquez character, and he didn’t disappoint this time.
- Tracy’s lines.
- Tracy and Horatio’s dancing together.
- Fred’s usually funny Gabe character was weaker this time around.
(SKETCH) Porn movie names
- Not bad, for the last sketch of the night.
- Parnell looked funny with that hair and moustache.
- The ending could’ve been a little better.
Overall Highlights of Tonight’s Episode:
- Not using a political cold opening.
- TV Funhouse.
- Several Weekend Update jokes.
- An actually good closing sketch.
- Adrien was kind of disappointing as the host. At least he seemed enthusiastic and into it, but he overdid it a lot and talked in over-exaggerated accents for almost every sketch.
- Overdoing the commercial interruptions in American Idol.
- Brian Fellow’s Safari Planet.
- Self-involved date.
- Fred’s Gabe character not being as funny as last time.
- The commercials during Saddam & Osama.
- Rachel Dratch as woman: “Damn you, match.com!”
- Darrell Hammond as Regis: “Gelman, would you cut your arm off to escape being trapped?”
Chris Kattan as Gelman: “I haven’t yet, Reege…”
- Tina Fey: “Police in Italy have arrested a priest who regularly visited a brothel, and hired hookers to dress up like nuns. A spokesman for the Vatican described the priest’s behavior as: progress.”
- Jimmy Fallon: “In London this summer, Microsoft will introduce the “iLoo”, the world’s first public toilet with internet access. So go inside, log in, and log out.”
- Jimmy Fallon: “More than 100 men and women gathered in San Francisco this past weekend to participate in the city’s 2nd annual public Masturbate-a-Thon. Even though a lot of people showed up, I heard it was ‘whacked’.”
- Tina Fey: “It was reported that at the Kentucky Derby last weekend, Carson Daly spent nearly $1000 on lap-dances at a local strip club, which isn’t really that much money when you consider how expensive Chippendales is.”
- Horatio Sanz as Elton John: “Hello, Jimmy. You look good enough to eat.”
- Tracy Morgan as A.J.: “I’m getting married next month and I need to know how to do my spotlight dance.
Adrien Brody as Gregorio: “Is your wife going to join us?”
Tracy Morgan as A.J.: “No, I ain’t met her yet. She’s arriving from the Philippines on Tuesday.”
- Adrien Brody as Gregorio: “A.J., how do you feel?”
Tracy Morgan as A.J.: “I feel like I might shake a fart loose.”
CASTMEMBER COUNT DOWN:
DRATCH: 5 sketches (American Idol; Mom Jeans; Self-involved date; Weekend Update; Ballroom dancing for beginners)
FALLON: 2 sketches (American Idol; Weekend Update)
FEY: 2 sketches (Mom Jeans; Weekend Update)
HAMMOND: 2 sketches (Live with Regis and Kelly; Porn movie names)
KATTAN: 5 sketches (American Idol; Brian Fellow’s Safari Planet; Self-involved date; Live with Regis and Kelly; Lensmasters)
MORGAN: 3 sketches (American Idol; Brian Fellow’s Safari Planet; Ballroom dancing for beginners)
PARNELL: 4 sketches (American Idol; Mom Jeans; Live with Regis and Kelly; Porn movie names)
POEHLER: 5 sketches (American Idol; Mom Jeans; Live with Regis and Kelly; Lensmasters; Porn movie names)
RUDOLPH: 3 sketches (American Idol; Monologue; Mom Jeans)
SANZ: 3 sketches (Monologue; Weekend Update; Ballroom dancing for beginners)
ARMISEN: 1 sketch (Ballroom dancing for beginners)
EDWARDS: 1 sketch (American Idol)
FORTE: 1 sketch (Porn movie names)
MEYERS: 0 sketches
RICHARDS: 1 sketch (American Idol)
Kattan, Rachel, and Amy were the stars of the night. They’re obviously trying to get in Kattan as much as possible now before he leaves. And where was Seth? Kinda unusual not to see him in anything.
Thanks for reading. BUONA NOTTE.